Saturday 25 June 2011

Week 4 day 5 long run & strange symbols

Slept through the 7am alarm so woke up late about 7.45 and had to quickly chuck 2 crumpets down for breakfast . Not easy. Short snooze for 30 mins then got ready and out, kit all laid out waiting.

Had a new garmin GPS watch to try out (a 405cx from Amazon, more later) so wasted a little bit of time getting this setup and the way I want it. Has a heart rate monitor strap when you want to use it to show if you're running comfortably (not often for me) or too hard (often supposedly!).
Run was good a bit tired but okay, need to start running consistent speed which I roughly managed about 8.30 min miles for most of these. More details of these later.
5-6 stops for stretches (calf/ hamstring and dynamic one), route was from Moreton to far side of Heswall by the Devon Doorway pub (jelly babies here) then from there to West Kirby (stopping for a Ribena), then onto the stables at Meouls to meet Mrs FRC who was riding.


In total about 15.5-16 miles.Total time out about 2hrs 35m, running time 2hrs 15.

Protein/ carb shake, water and a change waiting for me, then off to West Kirby for a bowl of porridge at Sweet Pea. I would usually go for the full breakfast but resisting the temptation at the moment... Its not what my body needs after a long run. Nice tea pot though I wish it was real.

Usually a few hours after a long run & breakfast I can crash out and have a snooze but not today. Drank more water and another sports drink and seemed to be able to get through it.. Avoiding going hypo maybe if thats what it is.. lack of glycogen making me tired because food too late or not enough?
The strange symbols? somehow managed to get some nasty chaffing/ allergy on my lower back from shorts... not sure how but looked red livid & was really sore till I took an anti histamine.
Ouch. Note photo edited to protect the innocent ! :)

2 comments:

Nickada said...

Good blog!

Looks like youve got sudoku rash!

What 'protein/carb shake' do you take?

Nick

Running Cat said...

yeah, it does look like Sudoku.

and sore too... something on a seam scraping across my back on both sides.. allergy maybe.. washing powder can do this to me sometimes but not like this.

Shakes.
I've tried the Nestle one Nutrament or similar.
Also whatever Sainsburys are selling.. (lucozade?).

Its a mix of carbs & protein though, so 15g protein, 50-60 carbs, approx 350 calories.

but you can always get a yazoo... as recommended by sports science person they are still in high in protein and carbs. very similar in reality to the more expensive "sport" type.